Pergolas are essentially outdoor rooms consisting of overhead crossbeams and rafters but no walls. They may be covered with fabric or vines to add a level of shade but they do not offer protection from wind or rain due to all four sides being open. These structures are generally freestanding, but can easily attach to the side of your house or link two structures to frame views, define an area within a yard, or add sculptural quality to a space.
Benefits of Adding a Pergola to Your Outdoor Space
- Added Shade: Pergolas can offer varying degrees of shade depending on their location in your yard and additions such as lattice, fabric, and climbing vines.
- Add an Outdoor Cooking Space: Unlike gazebos, pergolas can accommodate a cooking and/or grilling area due to their open top and sides allowing heat and smoke to escape.
- Add an Outdoor Entertaining Space: Extend your living space by placing a pergola next to (or attached) to your home to create a seamless transition between your indoor and outdoor areas, or add a pergola away from your home to create a remote entertaining, dining, and relaxing space.
- Garden Upgrade: Add charm and style to your garden without blocking sunlight and air circulation.
- Base for Lighting and Decor: A pergola structure is perfect for hanging lights, fans, and decorations to create a unique and customized entertaining area.
- Increased Home Value: A well-designed pergola adds additional outdoor entertaining space and increases the value of your home.
Material and Durability
The durability and lifespan of your pergola is directly tied to its construction material. Pergolas can be built with many different materials, including wood, wrought iron, vinyl, aluminum, and steel. The most common construction material for pergolas is wood due to its versatility, durability, and traditional appearance—but not all woods are created equal. Teak or other exotic hardwoods will outperform softwoods which require the most maintenance and last the least amount of time and pressure-treated wood will provide moisture and insect resistance. If longevity is your top concern, more contemporary choices, such as vinyl, aluminum, or steel pergolas will last twice as long as ones constructed of wood.
Partner with the Pergola Specialists at Atlanta Porch & Patio
Add an outdoor style statement to your home by adding a pergola. At Atlanta Porch & Patio we are dedicated to creating EXTRAORDINARY outdoor living spaces throughout the metro Atlanta area. Our mission is to turn our clients’ ideas, dreams, and visions into personalized, tangible outcomes to enjoy for years to come. We love to build and install pergolas that exceed our clients’ expectations. Our expert designers can create a stunning structure specifically suited to your outdoor space and our experienced builders will create a pergola built to the highest standards. Call 678-398-7077, email, or contact us through our online form today to get started on adding a beautiful addition to your home with a pergola that matches your personality and style.